Thursday, December 18, 2014

Some Recent Knives


These are some pictures of recent work.  All are hand-forged from high carbon 1080 steel.  Thanks for looking.




My first attempt at a chef's knife.  The blade is 8" long, 1/8" thick, and 1 1/2" wide.  It has a full flat grind down to a zero edge (no secondary bevel).  Wickedly sharp!  The handle is unknown hardwood salvaged from a pallet.

A nice bowie, also the first of its kind that I have made.  The blade is 10", including the ricasso, and 1/4" thick.  Slightly convex grind with a zero edge.  Chops through wood like an axe and shaves hair like a razor.  This one is sold.  I miss it already.

A large leuku, which is the multipurpose knife of the Sami people of northern Scandinavia.  This one is a bit thicker than normal at 1/4".  The blade is 8" long, with a high grind.  It has a slight secondary bevel to give it more strength for chopping wood.  The handle is oak pieces, cut to show the end grain on the side of the handle, with leather spacers.  I like the starburst effect that it creates.

I have been toying with creating an ad to advertise my wares.  I have not advertised yet, but might start sometime soon.

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the Leuku! The handle and blade both look great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The reason I wanted to talk to you off of ebay is that I'd like to keep this transaction off of ebay as well to avoid their 10% charge. I don't think this violates their terms of use because we're not talking about something that's listed there, but I still didn't want to mention it in ebay messages just in case. I'll be in touch.

      Delete
    2. I just now saw this message. I apologize for missing this. Do you have a Facebook page where you post more pictures of your work? I can't wait to get the sheath. It looks great!

      Delete
    3. No facebook page yet, but I'm considering setting one up.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love the Leuku! The handle and blade both look great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete