Sunday, August 9, 2015

Hand Made Belts

I have been wanting to expand into the field of leatherwork for a while.  These belts are the first leather product that I have offered for sale.  I am hoping to add wallets to my repertoire at some point as well.

This is the third belt that I have sold so far.

The customer ordered it without a buckle, and wanted a snap attachment to make buckles easily interchangeable.  Normally I attach buckles permanently, or use Chicago screws for removable buckles, but in this case the customer preferred a snap.  Another custom feature of this belt is the addition of extra holes on the tighter end.  I usually do seven holes, with the center one being placed for the customer's exact size, and three extras in each direction.  The customer wanted a few extras so that it could be adjusted tighter, which was easy enough to do.  An advantage of a custom, hand made belt is that I can easily tailor it for a customer's exact needs.


Another advantage is quality.  I make these from very high-quality, very thick 12-ounce leather. I cut every strap by hand.  Every belt features hand-burnished edges, and is finished with a mixture of neatsfoot oil and beeswax.  It is hard to find a more rugged, long-lasting belt than these.


My price for a standard, plain belt is $40, or in the case of this particular one, $32 with no buckle.  Fancier buckles and some decorative stamping are available for a higher price.

No comments:

Post a Comment